Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Small Miracles

So I finally GOT UP and did something instead of just thinking and planning and talking about doing something and started working out over the last week or so. And I've NEVER been one to be all "I'mma gonna exercise b/c I LOVE IT". HA yeah right. I'm more like John Pinette (if you haven't seen him to look him up on YouTube - hysterical I tell you), "I can quit this ANY TIME I WANT".

I've NEVER been one to enjoy my trips to the gym. I LOVED dancing. I adored dancing. I miss it so bad it aches. But with my injuries dance is off the table and thus my meteoric weight gain in college. And I've made myself stick to a work out schedule before but I never did it because it felt good. I did it b/c I wanted to lose weight.

Well in Weight Watchers they really emphasize "reframing". Changing how you deal w/ things. This is a BIG issue for those of us who are emotional eaters. And I'm here to tell you I'm ALL ABOUT my emotional eating. Except that this last week instead of making a pan of brownies... I got on the elliptical machine.

And do you know what - I felt better afterwards. I didn't work out Sunday (b/c it was the sabbath) and I felt kinda BLAH all day. Didn't work out Monday either. BIG time with the BLAHS. First half of today was really BLAH. Then I worked out.

I actually feel better. Better mood. Better motivation. Holy chit the studies are true. All those statistics that say it helps w/ endorphins etc actually apply to me. Who knew?!

I know its DUMB to think it doesn't apply to me but honestly prior to now... yeah I can definitely quit that ANY TIME I WANT. But now... it just feels good. I actually enjoy it. I turn on something on the TV and hop on my elliptical machine and just go. I'm up to 30 mins now and I think I'm gonna increase it by another 5 minutes later this week. My legs don't feel funny anymore when I stop so I think I'm good.

And honestly I think I need to give some credit to Scott Adam's. He writes the comic "Dilbert" and writes one of the funniest, most thought provoking blogs on the web. And I read this post of his months ago and haven't been able to get it out of my head since. I think he's got a point.

Check it out: http://dilbert.com/blog/entry/pattern_recognition/

No comments:

Post a Comment