Saturday, February 2, 2019

3 More Days of Purees

Hi Guys!

Sorry I dropped off the face of the planet there for a bit! Life was interfering but hopefully I’m getting back in the swing of things! So some updates:

I cannot tell you how grateful I was to start purées. I went to one of my favorite Mediterranean places and got a large order of my favorite hummus and their amazing baba ghanoush (sp??) and I had leftovers from that for the next week plus! Scrambled eggs have never been so exciting.

There have been some rough spots. I had to learn what full feels like again. Over eating is dramatically unpleasant and uncomfortable for hours afterwards so I am very careful about my portion sizes now and I’ve got a decent eye for how much I can eat. And I serve myself in my tiny bowls and leave the rest behind in the kitchen so I am not tempted to take even a single bite more than I should bc it’s not worth the pain. Think ONE egg scrambled with like a tsp of cheese and I’m completely full for the next several hours. 1/4-1/2 cup is about the limit.

Absolutely no beverages allowed 15 mins before to 30 mins after eating. That’s been a toughie. I used to drink a ton while I ate but it does not make my stomach feel nice if I do it so I leave my water glass in the kitchen too now so I don’t forget and reflex drink.

The other hard thing has been the swelling from my very large hiatus hernia repair has made the passage of food from my esophagus to my stomach very slow and difficult. I’m told this will improve over the next month or two as the swelling continues to go down. But if I do not take tiny bites and space them out very far apart then I wind up with the food stuck in my throat and it’s very painful and I have to just sit there and wait for it to slowwwwwly go down. It’s not pleasant. I now eat with my kids baby spoons so I don’t take bites that are too big for me.

I am 11 days into purées and today I’m officially sick of this crap and I want new food. I’ve done a good job getting really creative w seasoning and cheese combos to try to make my scrambled eggs different every day. And different soups and different hummus flavors etc. but I’m done with it now. I want crunchy veggies badly. Lol Next week I get to move to soft chopped solids which sounds amazing. Slowly, slowly I get closer to eating real food.

According to my doc my priorities right now are 1. get enough water (60+oz a day), 2. get enough protein (40+g a day) and then get all my supplements in. I think I’m doing okay on the first two but finding room in my tiny stomach for all those pills is proving difficult. I’m improving but I’m not where I should be yet.

Oh and I finally had my post op follow up w the doc. In roughly the last month I’m down 27.6 lbs and my capris are in dire need of a belt. So progress!

Also on the list of foods that don’t suck: Jello Sugar Free Pudding cups in Dark Chocolate and Chocolate Vanilla Swirl are my friends. And they’re totally legal on the diet. So there.

No comments:

Post a Comment